MAGIA Y MISTERIO!!
AN EXTRAORDINARY EVENT FOR FIFTY COUPLES
THE HOUDINI ESTATE
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2019
4 PM to 8 PM
FIFTY couples are cordially invited to explore the privately owned, five-acre Houdini Estate in Los Angeles’ famed Laurel Canyon. Originally built in the Edwardian tradition in the early 1900s, the property still has caves, hidden tunnels, terraced gardens, and a deep-water tank where Harry Houdini reportedly practiced his underwater escapes. The secluded estate was the perfect retreat for America’s first action hero!
This year marks the 100th anniversary of the time Houdini and his wife, Bess, stayed at the Hollywood Hills estate while he made several films for the newly flourishing “picture business.” Houdini lived in the property’s guesthouse and used the estate’s pool to practice his amazing feats of escape and illusion. The magic and mystery of “The Handcuff King” still remain with the grounds where Bess lived for years after he died in 1926 and in which she gave a famous party for 500 magicians.
The estate, its gardens, and a few smaller structures were partially restored after the 1959 Laurel Canyon Fire burned the original 54-room mansion. In 2006, José Luis Nazar purchased the property and lovingly restored the remaining structures and grounds, adding exotic plants to the century-old gardens, walking trails for exploration, exquisite statues and other artwork, and many amusing and whimsical touches. Guests will delight to discover a spring that runs year-round, hidden nooks and crannies featuring remnants of the original quarry on the property, magic tricks they can perform on specially commissioned structures, and photo opportunities galore on a property that is internationally renowned for fashion, music video, and other film shoots. Today, the estate enjoys modern amenities while maintaining the grand mystique and marvel of Harry Houdini. Come and discover magical surprises around every corner!
During this singular event hosted by José Luis Nazar, you will enjoy:
- Specially chosen wines from Spain, Chile, and Mexico (wines of the “Old World, New World and Very New World”).
- A fabulous assortment of hors d’oeuvres and other tasty morsels at food and wine stations presented by Wolfgang Puck Catering, known for creative seasonal cuisine presented at high profile, grand events in all kinds of settings and iconic venues.
- A stupendous display of cheeses presented by The Cheese Store of Beverly Hills, called “Valhalla for cheese lovers” and the “Mecca for cheese aficionados.”
- A dessert station with magical confections presented by Thomas Henzi, famed Executive Pastry Chef of The Beverly Hilton who is acclaimed for his show-stopping pastries at such entertainment events as the Golden Globes, Oscar Nominations Luncheon, and the Pre-Grammy Gala
- An array of spellbinding strolling magicians from the Academy of Magical Arts.
- An opportunity to visit with Patrick Culliton, a noted Houdini historian and Laurel Canyon expert whose book Houdini: The Key is the ultimate reference book on the secrets of Houdini’s magic and escapes.
- Mysterious surprises that will only be revealed on the day of celebration!
José Luis Nazar
Wolfgang Puck Catering
The Cheese Store of Beverly Hills
Chef Thomas Henzi
The Beverly Hilton
Scott Smith, Scotto Magic
Academy of Magical Arts